Friday, June 18, 2010

The General's House

Warning this post has details for  my mom and those who are interested!

Last night I had the honor of attending a dinner at a 3 star General's House. They invited all the spouses from Jeremy's company over to welcome us to the Marine Corps, thank us, and teach us how to be Officer Wives. I wish I could have taken pictures! Some girls did take some before we left on their phones so here those are.




It was a fun night. We were sent the book Parade Rest to review before attending. It is a book of Marine Officer Customs and Protocol. We were also sent instructions on what to wear and bring. The dress code was casual, no jeans. We were to keep handbags to a minimum. We were to bring a hostess gift in a form of a donation to a charity. We met off site and were bused to the beautiful house on Quantico.

They started off with a "cocktail hour" on the deck. We mingled with the fellow wives, the new CO of TBS, the General and his wife, and other higher-up spouses. After this we enjoyed dinner on the deck prepared by the Enlisted Aides. There were 6 aides there to serve the meal. The General has an aide everyday from 7:30-3:00 to cook and clean the house. Jeremy said he also has aides that drive him around and other things.

The menu was:
Raspberry Spinach Salad
Caribbean Jerk Pork Tenderloin with Pinneapple Salsa
Saffron Rice
Vegetable Medley
Summer Garden Tortellini with Chicken
Key Lime Pie with Passion Fruit and Huckleberry Compote

They then went over the protocol. Most of the things we talked about were basic etiquette rules. The one thing I do not agree with is the "dress code". We are not supposed to wear certain clothes to the commissary (grocery store) on base. We can't wear flip flops, gym clothes, or short shorts. I always wear flip flops and will continue to do so...at least until I get kicked out. Gym clothes...really? It's a grocery store! What if I want to stop by the store on my way home from the gym or if I just want to be comfy. They said we need to be examples for the younger wives....wait I am a younger wife. Hawaii was much more laid back about the dress code. I wore my work out shorts and flip flops to the commissary every time and never had a second thought. 

Overall it was a nice evening and the food was delicious. And I enjoyed catching up with all the spouses!

3 comments:

laura jo said...

Thanks for posting the details, Katie! That's funny about the dress code...such responsibility! :) Love you!!

Jessica said...

Don't rock the boat too much, Katie. :) P.S. Cute dress!

karen said...

i loved the details...from the menu to the etiquette talk and all the pictures in between! you looked gorgeous, katie! stunning! i'm with you, when i have to go to the grocery store, i like to be comfy! enjoying your adventures. love, mom